The Hong Kong Veterans Commemorative Association is pleased to offer this unique commemorative plaque for installation in locations such as Royal Canadian Legion branches, high schools and retirement/long term care homes.
The plaque (see thumbnail to the right) includes graphics that depict the Battle
(Defence) of Hong Kong, and is intended to commemorate the 1,976
Canadians who fought against the Japanese Imperial Army during December
Please note that the concept of the plaque is not to recognize any
one member of 'C' Force, but to commemorate all members. The design must
not be altered in any manner without express permission of HKVCA.
- Plaques are provided free of charge. For information on how to
obtain a plaque, or for further information, please email email@example.com .
- The cost of installation is the responsibility of the
sponsoring organization (e.g. Legion, high school, etc.). This
includes any mounting fixtures such as brackets, and labour.
- It must be located indoors, and in a location where it can
easily be seen by people using the facility, such as a lobby.
- There should be a dedication service at which the plaque is unveiled or
presented. Family and friends of local Hong Kong Veterans should be
invited, and should be given the opportunity to speak. The local
sponsor is responsible for arranging the ceremony, along with any
related costs (e.g. catering, if any).
- Local media should be invited to cover the plaque unveiling.
- A photograph(s) should be taken showing the mounted plaque, and
including attendees of the ceremony, if possible. Photographs should
be sent to www.HKVCA.ca for possible publication in the HKVCA’s
newsletter, as well as posted to our
Facebook Hong Kong Veterans Tribute Group.
Plaque Mounting Details
- Dimensions are 18” wide by 44” high (46cm wide by 112cm high) x
approximately 3/8 of an inch
- Typically, it is supplied mounted on a hard board, approximately 0.4” (1cm)
- The plaque may be mounted by drilling a hole at each corner and
affixing to the wall with screws, or alternatively by using mounting
- Should be mounted permanently, and not hung by a wire
Completed and Planned Sites
Thinking of approaching a Legion Branch, Community Centre, or other
venue regarding plaque installation? Check out the list below to make
sure that we've not already visited them.
- Victoria, BC Legion Branch #127
- Niagara Falls ON Legion Branch #479
- Port Colborne ON Legion Branch #56
- Sutton, ON Legion Branch #356
- Port Credit ON Legion Branch #82
- London, ON Victoria Hospital Parkwood Site
- London, ON Victory Legion #317
- Chesley ON Legion Branch #144
- Cardston AB Legion Branch #170
- Swan River MB Legion Branch #39
- Edmonton AB Norwood Legion Branch #17
- Moose Jaw SK Legion Branch #59
- Calgary AB Col Belcher Retirement Home
- Selkirk MB Legion Branch #42
- Saskatoon, SK Nutana Legion Branch #362
- Russell MB Legion Branch #159
- Calgary, AB Legion Branch # 285
- Bury QC Legion Branch #48
- Estevan SK Legion Branch #60
- October 22, 2018: High River AB Legion Branch #71
- Medicine Hat AB. Royal Canadian Legion # 17
- Edmonton, AB. Provincial Museum (newly opened)
- Red Deer, AB. Royal Canadian Legion #35
- Winnipeg, MB Prince Edward Legion #81
- Sarnia, ON Legion #62
- Port Colborne, ON Cadet Corp
- Cobourg, ON Legion
Published: October 2017
Updated: Oct 2018